Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Informational Interview Project


I've always been passionate about serving as a mentor, especially to fellow women of color. This past summer, through the magic of LinkedIn, I got connected with a young lady looking to re-enter the field of higher education and she asked me to be her mentor. As part of our professional development and mentor/mentee work, I challenged her to conduct some informational interviews. Sometimes in giving a challenge to a mentee, the mentor is in turn challenged. I decided to not only talk-the-talk, but also walk-the-walk by challenging myself to complete fifteen (15) informational interviews by the end of August. That challenge turned into something greater than I expected.


The Informational Interview Project started as a way to lead by example but became a journey to rediscovering my passion and commitment for the field of higher education. Informational interviews were conducted with a variety of professionals (men, women, professionals of color, LGBT) working in varied areas (conduct, res life, career services) who are all along the career spectrum (mid-level to college/university president). I started with individuals whom I'd worked with or knew personally, then gradually expanded my list of interviewees to include higher ed professionals whom I've engaged with on Twitter or were referrals from people in my network. The format of the informational interview allowed me to gain insights in the following areas:
  1. Professional History
  2. Expertise
  3. Beliefs
  4. Missing Pieces

The experience also allowed me to get to know colleagues and other professionals on a deeper level. Along with learning about their journey in the field, what types of problems they solve in their current positions, and challenges they believe are facing today's college students, I really enjoyed gaining insight into how they became interested in the field of higher education; what their favorite part of their job is; and what they believe make someone successful in the field. What I’ve found is that each professional’s journey followed the stages of Komives et. al Leadership Identity Development Model:
  1. Awareness
  2. Exploration/Engagement
  3. Leader Identified
  4. Leadership Differentiated
  5. Generativity
  6. Internalization/Synthesis

The project has also helped with my own personal leadership identity development and is in part responsible for the creation of my blog. I've also submitted it as one of my first NASPA annual conference program proposals. I'd like to continue the project and my development by adding more informational interviews. Listed below are the type of interviewees needed to continue to flesh out this project:
  • Professionals who are women or men of color
  • Professionals who identify as LGBTQIA
  • Professionals who are women beyond the director level (i.e. associate dean, vice president, etc.) 
  • Professionals who've recently conducted a dual search
  • Professionals who've attended or worked at HBCUs
  • Professionals based on the West Coast, South, or Midwest
  • Professionals who currently or have worked at a community college
If you are interested in contributing to the Informational Interview Project as one of my interviewees, feel free to comment below or connect with me on Twitter (@WinniPaul), Google+, LinkedIn. 


References:
Komives, S. R., Longerbeam, S. D., Owen, J. E., Mainella, F. C., & Osteen, L. (2006). A leadership identity development model: Applications from a grounded theory. Journal of College Student Development47(4), 401-418.

Komives, S. R., Owen, J. E., Longerbeam, S. D., Mainella, F. C., & Osteen, L. (2005). Developing a leadership identity: A grounded theory. Journal of College Student Development46(6), 593-611.

No comments:

Post a Comment