Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mentor Me & Contribute to the Reciprocity Ring



This summer I'm participating in a virtual Reciprocity Ring started by Amma Marfo, an amazing higher education professional who has a big heart and is super talented. It's wonderful to be part of a group that is women helping other women. Be sure to check out the Reciprocity Ring every week for the latest post and see how you can help someone get closer to their goals. My Reciprocity Ring post is below.
My name is Winnifred but most people call me Winni or Diva. I was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti and grew up in southern CT where I currently live. I have a B.A. in English with a double minor in History and Women’s Studies. I have an M.S.Ed. in Counselor Education which I’ve used in the non-profit sector as an addictions/career counselor as well as working in group homes for those with developmental disabilities and/or mental health issues.

I volunteer my time by serving as the Membership Chair/Social Media Coordinator for the Rhode Island Young Professionals (RIYP). RIYP is an auxiliary of the Urban League of Rhode Island and part of the National Urban League Young Professionals (NULYP) network. I’m also part of the inaugural national membership committee for NULYP. When I’m not involved in social justice, my other interests include foodie adventures, karaoke, pop culture, museums, reading, and improv comedy.
With over seven years experience working in higher education, I’ve contributed to the student engagement experience in residential life, student activities, orientation, and student leadership development at a community college and a variety of universities. I’m currently a rogue agent aka job searching. I started my own guest speaking business this January. My StrengthsQuest top five are: 1) Context, 2) Input, 3) Communication, 4) Includer, and 5) WOO.
What I need help with is something that’s covered by the first three StrengthsQuest: mentorship. In Homer’s epic The Odyssey, Mentor was the trusted friend of Ulysses who agrees to protect and guide Odysseus’ son, Telemachus, while Odysseus was away on his extended journey to Troy and back. “Mentor” today has come to mean a teacher, a guide, a trusted person who can share information, advice, and expertise as you develop professionally and personally. I would love mentors in the following focus areas: a) job search/transition, b) guest speaking/consulting, and c) doctoral programs.
I’m seeking mentors at the Director/SSAO level or beyond with at least 10 years of experience working in the field. I appreciate the diversity of life and work experiences that have brought people to the field, as such the mentors don’t have to look like me or have the same work experiences.
  • Mentor A (job search/transition) relationship would begin almost immediately and last through the end of 2014 with regular communication (phone/e-mail/Google+) on how to navigate the job search and transition processes.
  • Mentor B (guest speaking/consulting) should either have their own consulting business or extensive experience guest speaking at multiple universities. This mentoring relationship would begin over the summer with regular communication (phone/e-mail/Google+) to help get things off the ground and running.
  • Mentor C (doctoral programs) relationship would begin late summer/early fall 2014 with sporadic communication (phone/e-mail) regarding potential programs and would eventually transition to periodic support check-ins. I’m looking to start a doctoral program Fall 2015.
Here’s a great article by Jennifer Dulski, President and COO of Change.org, about different types of mentors: “5 Mentor Archetypes I’ve Met – And How to Spot Them” http://ow.ly/wvkEU. I can work with all the archetypes of mentors but some (i.e. advisor, role model) will be better suited than others for some of my specific needs. I’ve served as a mentor for several graduate students and new professionals over the years. It’s time I get mentored.
Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to where this will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment